The Teacher Recruitment Program (TRP) provides an accelerated pathway for individuals, who hold a baccalaureate, who are seeking initial teacher certification.
Two initial teacher certification pathways are available through TRP:
- EC-6 ESL (Early Childhood - 6th Grade with ESL)
- Secondary Education (Grades 7-12), requires at least 24 credit hours in a subject area taught in high school.
TRP is a full-certification program including 18 hours of graduate initial teacher certifcation course work and 14 weeks of student teaching, typically completed in two semesters of full-time attendance. The coursework may begin in either the Fall or Spring semesters. The first semester classes are delivered at the Round Rock campus. Field experiences are delivered on-site in local area public schools. Due to the accelerated nature of the Teacher Recruitment Program a substantial portion of the program requires a daytime commitment in public schools.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm in local Round Rock schools. Approximately half of the day is spent in field work in assigned public school classrooms and approximately half of the day is spent in three college classes taught on the assigned public school campus.
- Wednesdays, two classes at the Texas State Round Rock campus (2:00 pm-5:00pm and 6:30 pm - 9:20 pm).
- Student teaching: M-F all day, 14 weeks, non-paid, in an assigned public school
- One evening class, 6:30pm -9:20pm at Texas State Round Rock campus
Once a TRP participant has successfully completed the front-loaded 18 credit hours of graduate initial teacher certification coursework, student teaching, and has passed the required TExES licensing exams, he/she is then eligible to apply for full-time teaching positions in Texas.
The remaining 18 credit hours of coursework for the MEd. may be completed within 5 years.
- A comprehensive exam is required for those seeking an MEd. in Elementary Education.
- A capstone course CI 5306 is required for those seeking an MEd. in Secondary Education.
For coursework information visit Coursework