Whether you are aspiring to teach Early Childhood through 6th grade, or 4th through 8th grade at Texas State University in San Marcos, we have a variety of Elementary graduate CMED programs from which you can choose as you begin your journey toward a teaching career. In the College of Education we are committed to helping our students achieve their goals as they begin and continue their education in becoming teachers.
If you have selected this webpage, you have begun to consider choosing Education for your major and graduate study as your aim for higher learning. What an opportunity to enter a program that offers earning a Master’s degree while also pursuing teacher certification! Let’s look at some top reasons why you will want to choose Texas State University and its College of Education:
- The Department of Curriculum & Instruction has a superior and caring faculty.
- Our Teacher Education Program is nationally accredited.
- There are teaching jobs available. As more and more teachers are reaching retirement age and student populations are increasing, positions are opening.
- Students who have been accepted into a master’s program are eligible to apply for the Graduate College Scholarships for Master’s Students. If they were to be awarded a scholarship it would start in the fall.
- We offer an array of program choices listed below.
EC-6 ESL: Choosing this specialization (certification) prepares one with skills to work with English Language Learners. The program does not require learning languages other than English. However, many of the courses focus on skills a teacher will need in order to teach effectively in today’s diverse classrooms. There are many school districts that hire only teachers with an ESL endorsement for their lower grade campuses. Contact the Elementary Education Graduate Advisor – firstname.lastname@example.org for EC-6 ESL program information.
EC-6 Bilingual: Choosing this specialization prepares you to teach teach emergent bilinguals and students learning English as a second language in a Bilingual Education classroom. In order to pursue this certification, you must be proficient in academic Spanish (must be able to read, write and speak academic Spanish). Contact Dr. Mary Esther Huerta, Graduate Advisor and Program Coordinator for Bilingual Bicultural Education, at BilEdAdvisor@txstate.edu for information.
(Click HERE for Course Overview/Requirements for M.Ed. in Elementary Education-Bilingual/Bicultural with Certification)
- 4-8 Generalist
- 4-8 English Language Arts/Reading/Social Studies
- 4-8 Math
- 4-8 Science
* Contact the Elementary Education Graduate Advisor – email@example.com for information on the 4-8 CMED programs.
Certification with a Master of Education degree (CMED)
Before applying for admission into the graduate college, interested students should visit this website (http://www.education.txstate.edu/oep/graduates/Teacher-cert-only.html) and review the information about the certification that is earned along with the master’s degree.
Written Comprehensive Examination Information