Applicants must submit a Graduate College application. Visit www.gradcollege.txstate.edu for access to an online application, information about where to submit application documents and additional details. Students considering working toward the elementary mathematics specialist certificate should have the following skills and expertise:
- deep and broad understanding of mathematical content, including the specialized knowledge needed for teaching
- solid knowledge of the elementary context
- expertise in using/helping others use effective instructional and assessment practices that are informed by knowledge of mathematical learning trajectories
- knowledge and skills for working with adult learners
- leadership skills and the ability to influence and support educational efforts to improve the teaching and learning of mathematics
Generally, applications are due June 15 for the fall semester and October 15 for the spring semester.