Skip to Content

Early Childhood - 12th Grade Special Education

Career Opportunities

After successful completion of the degree and passing scores on the required certification exams, graduates can apply for EC-12 Special Education and EC-6 ESL Generalist teacher certification. The EC-12 Special Education certification makes you eligible to teach in Elementary, Middle, and Secondary School settings in Texas. Although the primary focus in this program is to work with Special Education students, All-Level Special Education majors are qualified and required to test for EC-6 ESL Generalist certification, making them qualified to teach in both inclusion or resource classrooms at the elementary grade levels as well as in self-contained or high need settings at the middle school and high school grade levels. Any teacher who holds an initial valid Texas classroom teaching certificate and a bachelor's degree can later add additional classroom certification areas by completing the appropriate examination(s).

Considering Graduate School?
Texas State's Curriculum and Instruction Department offers several programs specifically geared toward students who have earned teacher certification but want to further their education and qualifications.  These include The Teacher Fellows Program and the Master's in Elementary Education.

The Department of Counseling, Leadership, Adult Education and School Psychology offers a Specialist in School Psychology program, where students with or without teaching experience can choose specializations in autism or bilingual school psychology and apply for licensure as a School Psychologist.

For some general guidance about all the available programs Texas State has to offer, visit the Graduate College web page.

Declaring This Major

Schedule an appointment with a College of Education Advisor by calling 512.245.3050 or by stopping by the College of Education Advising Center in the Education building, suite 2143.

To ensure thorough understanding of degree and graduation requirements, students are required to meet with an Advisor before their record will be updated.  In this appointment, an advisor can answer questions about the degree program, update the student's curriculum record in the student information system, and assist with degree planning based on the new declaration.

Admittance to the Educator Preparation Program

In addition to declaration of the major, students must apply and be admitted to the Educator Preparation Program in order to enroll in Block coursework beyond the Education Core. 

The application and criteria for admittance are available through the Office of Educator Preparation on their website.

Statements of Understanding

Students wanting to declare into this degree program will be required to review and sign the Statement of Understanding form below during their advising appointment. This form is intended to provide helpful degree planning information to students early in their program to pave the way for successful planning and degree progress.

Degree Plan Checksheet

NOTE:  Information included on checksheets is subject to change. 
For the most updated information for each degree plan, students should refer to the appropriate Undergraduate Catalog and track their progress using a Degree Audit.  Additionally we encourage all students to meet on a semester basis with their Academic Advisor.

Course Sequencing

The ALSE Education Preparation sequence spans at least four long semesters (fall or spring).
All Education Preparation coursework requires a 2.75 Overall GPA and Junior Classification, while Block and Student Teaching experiences also require Educator Preparation Program Admittance.

Minimum Requirements for Graduation

All Texas State students must meet the University's minimum Grade-Point Requirements for graduation [Texas State GPA of 2.00, GPA of 2.5 in the major(s), GPA of 2.00 in the minor(s)].


  1. A 2.5 Major GPA and a 2.75 Overall GPA are required to graduate.
  2. All Major as well as Pedagogy and Professional Responsibility courses must be completed with a grade of 'C' or higher.

Academic Advisor

Our advisors are assigned to specific degree programs.  When you call to schedule an appointment, our front desk staff will confirm your declared or desired major and will schedule you accordingly. 

Each degree program includes crucial planning details such as GPA requirements, course rotations, prerequisites, program sequences, applications/deadlines, etc.

By focusing on only one or a few degree programs, your Advisor will be better able to keep track of those details and, in turn, share them accurately with you. 

Dylan Randolph

Additional Opportunities

For a comprehensive listing and searchable database of all student organizations at Texas State, please visit the Search Organizations webpage. 

Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
Contact: Stacia Miller,

Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
Contact:  Dr. Laura Sanchez-Fowler (Sponsor),; or Caroline Sommer (President),

Kappa Delta Pi - International Honor Society in Education
Contact: Dr. Nathan Bond (Sponsor),

Pi Gamma Mu Honor Society
Follow on Facebook:

San Marcos Student Reading Council (SMSRC)
Contact: Dr. Gwynne Ellen Ash,

Texas State Teachers Association
Follow on Facebook:

Course Substitution Requests

You may request evaluation of a course taken previously or that you plan to take to confirm whether it is equivalent to a degree requirement in your program.

If approved, provide documentation of that approval to the College of Education Advising Center in order for the course substitution to be reflected on your Degree Audit.

The instructions below are specific to the All-Level Special Education degree plan.
To request a substitution in a different College of Education program, select from our Majors and Programs list and scroll to the substitutions section at the bottom of that specific program page.

Expand or Collapse all.