Skip to Content

Health and Wellness Promotion

Health and Wellness Promotion

Career Opportunities

Professional health educators help people acquire knowledge and develop health-promoting positive attitudes and skills to adopt and practice healthy behaviors in all aspects of their lives.

Settings for this profession include: schools, communities, health agencies (state, federal, local), corporate or worksite wellness programs, voluntary health organizations, and non-governmental organizations, advocacy groups, wellness centers, and gyms.

The Department of Counseling, Leadership, Adult Education and School Psychology offers a specialized advanced degree in School Psychology, which prepares graduates with or without teaching experience for licensure to provide direct support and interventions to K-12 students in collaboration with teachers, families, administrators, and fellow mental health professionals.

CHES logo

Visit the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing website to learn more about professional certification.


Declaring This Major

Schedule an appointment with a College of Education Advisor by calling 512.245.3050 or by stopping by the College of Education Advising Center in the Education building, suite 2143.

To ensure thorough understanding of degree and graduation requirements, students are required to meet with an Advisor before their record will be updated.  In this appointment, an advisor can answer questions about the degree program, update the student's curriculum record in the student information system, and assist with degree planning based on the new declaration.

Minor Options

This degree program requires a Minor.
A full list of minors is available in the Undergraduate Catalog.

Statements of Understanding

Students wanting to declare into this degree program will be required to review and sign the Statement of Understanding form below during their advising appointment. This form is intended to provide helpful degree planning information to students early in their program to pave the way for successful planning and degree progress.

Degree Plan Checksheet

NOTE:  Information included on checksheets is subject to change. 
For the most updated information for each degree plan, students should refer to the appropriate Undergraduate Catalog and track their progress using a Degree Audit.  Additionally we encourage all students to meet on a semester basis with their Academic Advisor.

Course Sequencing

- Grades of 'C' or better are needed to progress through the sequence below.
- A 2.5 Overall GPA is required to enroll in semesters 2, 3, and 4.
- HED 4640 + 4100 must be completed in semester before HED 4660.
- All coursework must be complete prior to enrollment in HED 4660.
- HED 4660 is only offered in Fall and Spring semesters.


The H ED 4660 Health Education Internship course is a degree requirement and consists of 480 hours working with a health organization or agency to complete a semester-long project applying health education and exercise sports science concepts to a community health setting.  Opportunities exist in cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation, public/community health, employee wellness, and community wellness.

The course is writing intensive and can be completed in a fall or spring semester only after
1) completion of all other degree required coursework;
2) grades of 'C' or better earned in H ED 4100, and H ED 4640; and
3) with a minimum 2.50 Overall GPA.

Students declared with the Health and Wellness Promotion major should enroll in H ED 4100 Professional Development in Health and Wellness Promotion in the semester prior to their internship.  In this 1-credit-hour seminar course, students will learn about internship sites and the process for securing an internship, as well as working closely with one of the internship supervisors to identify potential organizations that meet their interests and professional goals. Sites are not limited to the Austin/San Marcos area; interns have been placed across the United States and even internationally.

Students needing more information can contact Dr. McDonald at

Minimum Requirements for Graduation

All Texas State students must meet the University's minimum Grade-Point Requirements for graduation [Texas State GPA of 2.0, GPA of 2.25 in the major(s), GPA of 2.0 in the minor(s)].


  1. A 2.5 Overall GPA is a required prerequisite for continued degree progress.
  2. Grades of 'C' or higher in the following courses are required prerequisites for degree progress:
  • MATH 1315
  • PSY 1300
  • H ED 1320, H ED 2340, H ED 4336,  H ED 4100, and H ED 4640

Academic Advisor

Our advisors are assigned to specific degree programs.  When you call to schedule an appointment, our front desk staff will confirm your declared or desired major and will schedule you accordingly. 

Each degree program includes crucial planning details such as GPA requirements, course rotations, prerequisites, program sequences, applications/deadlines, etc.

By focusing on only one or a few degree programs, your Advisor will be better able to keep track of those details and, in turn, share them accurately with you. 

Shelby Duffy

Additional Opportunities

Join Eta Sigma Gamma.
This student organization aims to elevate the standards, ideals, competence, and ethics of professionally trained men and women in the Health Science discipline. 

Join Healthycats.
You should consider joining Healthycats if you have a desire to work with the Texas State community, motivation to increase knowledge of health, and a sincere concern for the overall being of yourself and other students.


Course Substitution Requests

You may request evaluation of a course taken previously or that you plan to take to confirm whether it is equivalent to a degree requirement in your program.

If approved, provide documentation of that approval to the College of Education Advising Center in order for the course substitution to be reflected on your Degree Audit.

The instructions below are specific to the Health & Wellness Promotion degree plan.
To request a substitution in a different College of Education program, select from our Majors and Programs list and scroll to the substitutions section at the bottom of that specific program page.

Expand or Collapse all.