Skip to Content

Recreation Administration

New applicants should select a major in "Recreation Administration" on their ApplyTexas application.

Career Opportunities

Graduates of this program manage facilities, programs, and services that help people have a higher quality of life through positive, enjoyable, and enriching recreation and leisure experiences. Organizational settings include: commercial recreation and tourism, non-profit agencies, and government recreation agencies.

Considering Graduate School?
Texas State's Health and Human Performance Department offers several programs for students with a background in Recreation Administration who are wanting to further their education and qualifications.  These include programs in Exercise and Sports Science and the Master's of Science in Recreation Administration.

While our office assists students seeking undergraduate degrees, we've created a guide that might be helpful for those planning to apply to graduate programs in the future:

CPRP logo

Visit the Council on Accreditation's website to learn more about professional certification.

Declaring This Major

Schedule an appointment with a College of Education Advisor by calling 512.245.3050 or by stopping by the College of Education Advising Center in the Education building, suite 2143.

To ensure thorough understanding of degree and graduation requirements, students are required to meet with an Advisor before their record will be updated.  In this appointment, an advisor can answer questions about the degree program, update the student's curriculum record in the student information system, and assist with degree planning based on the new declaration.

Statements of Understanding

Students wanting to declare into this degree program will be required to review and sign the Statement of Understanding form below during their advising appointment. This form is intended to provide helpful degree planning information to students early in their program to pave the way for successful planning and degree progress.

Sequencing and Degree Plan Checksheets

NOTE:  Information included on checksheets is subject to change. 
For the most updated information for each degree plan, students should refer to the appropriate Undergraduate Catalog and track their progress using a Degree Audit.  Additionally we encourage all students to meet on a semester basis with their Academic Advisor.

2020 Catalog


2019 Catalog

2018 and Prior Catalogs

Transfer Planning

NOTE:  These resources are intended to help you PLAN AHEAD, so be sure to check these before taking transfer coursework whenever possible.

Students planning to earn college credit at another institution for eventual transfer to Texas State should refer to the Transfer Planning Guide for confirmation of which lower-level transfer coursework may be applied toward degree requirements in this specific program.

Additionally, the Transfer Equivalency Guide can be used to determine how any transfer course will be evaluated, regardless of specific degree program.


The REC 4680: Internship in Recreation Administration course is a degree requirement that consists of 400 hours and provides a hands-on, professional learning experience in the delivery of recreation services. It is this phase of the professional preparation that enables the student to apply knowledge and skills of recreation and to gain practical experience under the mentoring of a recreation professional and an academic supervisor.

This course can be completed in a fall, spring, or summer term and requires:
1) prior completion of all other degree required coursework;
2) grades of 'C' or better earned in REC 2336, REC 3325, & REC 4380; and
3) a minimum 2.25 Major GPA

Students needing more information can contact Amy Esmiol at

Minimum Requirements for Graduation

All Texas State students must meet the University's minimum Grade-Point Requirements for graduation [Texas State GPA of 2.00, GPA of 2.25 in the major(s), GPA of 2.00 in the minor(s)].


Grades of 'C' or higher in the following courses are required prerequisites for degree progress:

  • REC 1310
  • REC 2335
  • REC 2336
  • REC 3325
  • REC 4380

Additional Opportunities

To explore student organizations specifically related to exercise science, health promotion, and recreation visit the Department of Health and Human Performance website.

You can also view a more comprehensive list of all the student organizations available across the University through the Student Organizations Council website.

Study Abroad

Summer 2021 Faculty-Led program in Melbourne, Australia and Dunedin & Queenstown, New Zealand
CRITERIA: Completion of REC 1310, 2330, and 2335 with a Texas State GPA of 2.5 or higher.
                 [enrollment in select courses may require additional prerequisites]

Participating REC majors and minors will tour recreation facilities and parks, meet with managers from all sectors of the recreation industry, learn from faculty in Australia and New Zealand and potentially assist with an after-school program for school-aged children. The trip will also include visits to cultural and scenic locations in and around Melbourne, Dunedin, and Queenstown. The majority of coursework will be completed on-line and will be available for students to work on prior to departure. There will be class meetings throughout the program. Students will have free time on evenings and weekends to explore on their own.  

TO APPLY:  Interested students must complete the following three steps in order to be considered for participation:


Schedule and attend an advising appointment to determine if you will meet the eligibility requirements to study abroad next summer.


Submit the Study Abroad Pre-Approval Request Form for initial review by the Recreation Administration faculty.


Complete the official study abroad application online by their stated deadline (estimated November 2020 - early February 2021).

Course Substitution Requests

You may request evaluation of a course taken previously or that you plan to take to confirm whether it is equivalent to a degree requirement in your program.

If approved, provide documentation of that approval to the College of Education Advising Center in order for the course substitution to be reflected on your Degree Audit.

The instructions below are specific to the Recreation Administration degree plan.
To request a substitution in a different College of Education program, select from our Majors and Programs list and scroll to the substitutions section at the bottom of that specific program page.

Expand or Collapse all.