Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who is the graduate advisor for Secondary Education?

Dr. Nathan Bond

2. How do I apply?

Apply to the Graduate College for admittance to the program. Refer to the Graduate College’s website for the application forms, deadlines, and other requirements at:

As soon as you complete the application, the Graduate College will send your application packet to the advisor for approval to be admitted to the program.

If you are also seeking a teaching certificate, then apply to the Advising Center for a certification plan. Complete this application after you have been accepted to the graduate program. The Advising Center’s website is:

3. What are the requirements for acceptance to the secondary education program?

Students are required to have a 2.75 GPA on the last 60 undergraduate semester hours of letter-grade work earned before receipt of the bachelor's degree (plus any previous graduate or professional work.). The GRE is no longer required.

4. In which courses should I enroll during the first semester?

Students are strongly encouraged to email Dr. Nathan Bond, the graduate advisor for Secondary Education. His email is:  Students who are seeking a master’s degree and a teaching certificate are advised to take CI 5390, CI5314, and CI5333 during the first semester.

5. Whom do I contact if I have questions about certification, certification plans, or the TExES exams?

The Office of Educator Preparation answers these questions on their webpage:

6. Do the certification courses count towards the major or minor in Secondary Education?

The five graduate-level certification courses may count towards the master’s degree. The two courses of student teaching do not. Students must be accepted to the master’s degree in Secondary Education before taking the certification courses to have them count towards the master's degree. Courses taken for certification purposes prior to admittance as a degree-seeking student in Secondary Education may not count. Your advisor can appeal up to 6 hours taken as a post-bac student to count in your master's degree plan. If you choose a minor in Secondary Education, only 12 hours (4 courses) will count on your degree plan.

7. How do I earn a teaching certificate without a master’s degree?

Complete the teacher certification application on this webpage:

8. Can I take most of my courses online?

The five graduate-level certification courses (CI 5314, CI 5333, CI 5363, CI 5370, and RDG 5324) are offered online during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. CI 5363 is not offered during the summer. Each semester, the Department of Curriculum and Instruction is beginning to offer more courses online. The certification courses are also offered on the San Marcos and the Round Rock campuses.

9. Can I take all of the classes for the master's degree in Round Rock?

Many courses for the master’s degree are offered in Round Rock; however, some courses are only offered in San Marcos.  

10. Should I pursue a master’s degree with Secondary Education as my major or my minor?

It is possible to major in Secondary Education or to minor in Secondary Education. Students should consider their career goals when making this decision. If students decide to major in another field, then the admission requirements for the program will vary depending on the department.

11. How can I change courses in my secondary education major?

If you are seeking a master’s degree in Secondary Education and a teaching certificate, only one course can be substituted. If you are already a certified teacher, then you have more freedom in substituting the courses in your major. Email Dr. Nathan Bond, the graduate advisor in Secondary Education. His email is:

12. What’s the difference between a M.A. and M.Ed. in Secondary Education?

The M.A. is designed for students who want to pursue a doctoral degree. The M.Ed. is best for students seeking a teaching certificate and for experienced teachers who do not wish to write a thesis.

13. What are the specializations or concentrations in the M.Ed. program?

In Secondary Education, there are three specializations or concentrations: Gifted and Talented, Educational Technology, and Dual Credit. The specializations or concentrations are similar to a minor.

14. How do I choose a minor?

The recommended minor for students majoring in Secondary Education is Composite because it offers the maximum flexibility. The composite minor includes 12 hours of courses in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. Dr. Bond serves as the graduate advisor for the composite minor.

Students can choose a minor from another department. (Click here to see a list of the minors available). If students choose a minor in another department (for example, math), then the graduate advisor in the other department will oversee the minor part of the master’s degree.  

15. How can I change courses in my minor?

Students can change or substitute courses in the composite minor with the advisor’s approval. The advisor will submit a change of degree plan form to the Graduate College. If your minor is in another department (math, for example), you will need to contact your minor advisor to make changes to the courses.

16. Whom do I contact if I have questions about graduation?

Go to:

17. Can I take some of my graduate courses in a real high school?

Graduate students who are seeking a teaching certificate in Secondary Education are eligible to take three of the certification classes in a local high school. The three classes (CI 5363, CI 5370, and RDG 5324) are “blocked” together and fulfill partial requirements for the master’s degree and teacher certification. The courses are offered each fall and spring semester on Mondays and Wednesdays at New Braunfels Canyon High School in Comal ISD, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Hays High School in Hays CISD and McNeil High School in Round Rock ISD. The classes meet from 8 am to 3:30 pm. Graduate students spend part of the day with the professors taking college courses and part of the day working with high school students and practicing classroom teachers in their content areas. Prerequisites: CI 5314 and CI 5333. To be admitted to the block program, graduate students must complete an online application during the first month of the semester prior to taking the block courses. If students are unable to participate in the block program, they can take individual courses either online and in face-to-face formats in San Marcos and Round Rock.

18. Is there a minor in Secondary Education with certification?

The 15-hour minor in Secondary Education is designed to meet the needs of the student who is seeking a teaching certification in a high school content area and majoring in another academic area. The courses in the minor fulfill the professional education requirements for a teacher certification in Texas. The courses are listed in the preferred order for taking them: CI 5314, CI 5333, CI 5363, CI 5370, and RDG 5324.

19. Is there a minor in Secondary Education without certification?

The 12-hour minor is designed to meet the needs of the student who already holds a teaching certificate in Texas and who is seeking professional development to become a more effective and informed teacher. The student will work with the graduate advisor to select the courses.

20. Are students in Secondary Education required to take a comprehensive exam at the end of the program?

Students who were admitted to the program prior to the fall of 2014 are required to pass the comprehensive exam. Graduate students who were admitted during and after the fall of 2014 are required to complete one of two capstone courses. Graduate students who are currently teaching take CI 5389 while graduate students who are not currently teaching take CI 5306.