Skip to Content

New Graduate Student Information

Welcome to Graduate Studies in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction (C&I) at Texas State University. We are delighted that you are with us! This web page includes general orientation information to help you in preparing for your first semester of graduate studies in our C&I programs. Please be sure to follow the links throughout this page to the many resources that are available to you. For more detailed orientation information beyond what is on this page, visit the Graduate College's Online Graduate Orientation and be sure to download the Orientation Handbook. For academic advising information specific to your academic program, please visit that program's website. Program websites can be found via on the C&I main menu under Doctoral Programs and Graduate Degree Programs. Also see the Graduate Catalog for programs in our department.

Get Started

The Graduate College

You are enrolled in The Graduate College at Texas State University. The Graduate College provides a wealth of academic resources, workshops, and information on financial assistance for students. Please take some time to review their extensive website.


Parking permits (hang tag or sticker) are required for on-campus parking at the San Marcos and Round Rock campuses. To order a parking permit on-line, visit Parking Services. Permits can usually be mailed to you. It is a good idea to order them early because processing can take longer near the start of a semester. The Parking Services site also has information about where to park on both the San Marcos and Round Rock campuses based on each category of parking permit. Visitors to campus who have not yet purchased a parking permit may use the Edward Gary Garage, which is the pay-to-park option closest to the College of Education.

Financial Aid

For information on scholarships, loans, tuition, veteran's benefits, and more, please visit Financial Aid and Scholarships, as well as the Graduate College's Funding site.

Graduate and Doctoral Assistantships

Graduate and Doctoral Assistants are employed to work in research, instruction, or program administration. They are supervised by a faculty member and work for either 10 or 20 hours per week. Appointments may be made for one semester, an academic year, or a summer. Assistants are required to be available for the assigned work schedule and location(s). Master's students may be employed as Graduate Assistants, and doctoral students may be employed as Doctoral Assistants. Please note that neither master's nor doctoral students are eligible for hire in the opposite position. General requirements and campus-wide postings are available at the link above. To apply for a Graduate Assistantship (Master’s level) in C&I, visit our Graduate Assistantship Application. (Priority deadline: February 1. Final deadline: June 15.) Information regarding our Doctoral Assistantships is shared with candidates during the admissions process.

Student Health Center, Insurance & Vaccinations

The Texas State Student Health Center provides health care, health education, and pharmacy services. Services include medical services, a nurse clinic, a women's clinic, mental health services, vaccinations, STI/HIV testing, free travel health consultations, and information on health insurance options for students.

Get Connected

Student ID

Your Student ID number is assigned by the Graduate College. It begins with A + 8 digits (e.g., A00123456). You will need to provide this ID for course registration questions and for many other university activities. Please include it when requesting assistance from your program coordinator or administrative assistant.

Net ID

Your Net ID is typically some combination of your initials plus a number. This ID serves as your initial email address and is used to log into TRACS, Self-Service Banner, and to access library resources off-campus. You will need to create your own password. To activate your Net ID and manage your email, go to the Online Toolkit. (The link is also at the top right of the university home page.)


The Texas State BobcatCard is your Student Photo ID card. It is used for library access and book check out, meal plans, some door access, and optional purchasing and banking functions on and off campus. To obtain your BobcatCard visit ID Services-Bobcat Card. Wait times can be longer at the beginning of a semester and so it is often best to obtain your card before the semester begins or shortly into it.


CatsWeb is our online registration system used to register for courses, pay tuition, view class schedules, view unofficial transcripts, view your Degree Audit, and much more. Once you have activated your Net ID, you can log into CatsWeb to enroll for courses. (The link is also at the top right of the university home page.)

Email - Texas State University Email Account Use REQUIRED

BobcatMail, accessed in the upper right tool bar of the university's home page, enables you to access email, manage address books and calendars, and schedule meetings. Email is the university's primary mechanism for official communication with students. Please activate your email promptly after being admitted. Once you activate your email account, you may choose to forward your Texas State University email to your primary email account. However, you will still need to use the Texas State University account for correspondence with many offices and must maintain your account by periodically updating your password. Email information may be updated through the Online Toolkit.

Emergency Procedures

To sign up for emergency alerts via text and email, and to learn about campus safety and emergency preparedness please visit Emergency Management, a division of the Texas State University Police Department (UPD).

Information Technology Assistance Center

Information technology help is available via ITAC's phone, email, Live Chat, and Walk-Up Center Services. Phone and online LiveChat support is available 24 hours/7 days a week. LiveChat allows ITAC to take control of your device to resolve problems, with your authorization.

Meet the Faculty and Staff

Visit your program’s website for more information on the faculty in your program. For all faculty and staff contact information, see Faculty & Staff Contact Info.


The Alkek Library allows you to search and access full-text articles via the university's databases, including Google Scholar, and the book catalog. Online access requires your NetID and password. Books may be checked out using your BobcatCard Photo ID. Library meeting and maker spaces may be reserved for student collaborative work groups. Our librarians are a tremendous resource and help! The Round Rock Campus Library is also available for your use. Round Rock Campus students may request books be delivered from the Alkek Library in San Marcos to the RRC Library for pick up. To do so, find the book in the online catalog, click the "Request" button, and select "RRC Library" for pick up. NetID and password is required.

Round Rock Campus

The Round Rock Campus website provides helpful information on the campus services, organization, and offices.


TRACS is the online course management system used at Texas State University. All courses, whether on-campus or online, have a dedicated TRACS course site. If you are taking an online course, TRACS will allow you to view course materials, submit assignments and tests, view grades, communicate with your faculty member and fellow students, and much more.

By the start of class, your instructor will create your TRACS course site, which you can access for class related information. See the Students: Get Started Guide for more help with TRACS.

Prepare for Classes

Academic Calendar

The Academic Calendar will allow you to view important academic dates, such as start dates, add and drop deadlines, holidays, etc. As you plan your schedule, the academic calendar will be an integral resource for you to better prepare your academic future. Overview calendars give a view of an entire year January to December. On this calendar you may see dates for final exams, spring break, beginning and ending of each semester, holidays and commencement. For more detailed information on a specific semester, please view the appropriate academic calendar.

Course Registration

Registration can accessed from CatsWeb (see My Registration & Class Schedule).

Course Planning & Academic Advising

Program websites, accessed via the C&I Department web page (Doctoral Programs and Graduate Degree Programs), provide academic and course planning information. Please carefully review the website for your program. For advising questions not answered on those web pages, please contact the program staff for your program.

University Bookstore

You can check the University Bookstore to see if required texts are listed for your upcoming courses. If the bookstore does not have information on texts for your course, then that information will be shared with you on the course syllabus the first night of class. Course syllabi are not expected to be available prior to the beginning of the course.

Stay on Task

Academic Advising

Your program's Graduate Advisor can help you with advising questions. Their contact information is on the program webpage located on the C&I Department web page (Doctoral Programs and Graduate Degree Programs)

Degree Audit

Your Degree Audit is available in CatsWeb via Self-Service Banner. The Degree Audit provides a list of degree course requirements and records each course completed along with the grade earned. Changes to the Degree Audit must be approved in advance by the Program Coordinator. Approved course substitutions, which are rare, will be visible to you in the "Petitions" tab of the Degree Audit. These petitions are entered by the Graduate Advisor and must be reviewed and approved the Graduate Dean. If you are planning to take a course in place of one of the required courses on your Degree Audit, do not start the course until it has been listed as approved in the audit.

Writing Center & Plagiarism

The Writing Center is a free tutorial service provided to any graduate student who needs extra help with writing assignments. No matter the class or stage of the writing process, the Writing Center offers one-on-one advice and assistance from an experienced writer who can analyze the student's text and suggest improvements.

According to the Writing Center, “plagiarism occurs when a writer deliberately uses someone else's language, ideas, or other original (not common-knowledge) material without acknowledging its source. This definition applies to texts published in print or on-line, to manuscripts, and to the work of other student writers” (From Defining and Avoiding Plagiarism: The WPA Statement on Best Practices). See Writing Center’s web page on Plagiarism for more information and links to the student honor code.

Counseling Center

Many students encounter a variety of personal, social, career, and academic issues that call for assistance beyond advice provided by friends and family. The Counseling Center provides free and confidential services by professional counselors to all currently enrolled Texas State students. You might desire to have empathic support and genuine feedback for a difficult situation, learn useful self-management skills, improve your relationships, or resolve new or long-standing problem situations. Services include individual, group, and couples counseling; crisis and consultative sessions; and informational presentations about student mental health issues.

Student Resources

Visit the department's Student Resources page for more information and resources.