Submit A Book Title
How to Submit a Book
Send the following items to Dr. Sandra Murillo-Sutterby, Director of the Tomás Rivera Book Award, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Texas State University, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666:
- letter of nomination that includes the title, author, illustrator, ISBN#, and publisher of the book
- four copies of the book
- indicate book category
- works for younger children, ages pre-K to 5th grade
- works for older children, 6th grade to 12th grade
The submission deadline is November 1. Only books published in the most recent two-year period may be submitted for consideration.
Criteria for Eligibility
This award will be given annually to the author/illustrator of the most distinguished book for children and young adults that authentically reflects the lives and experiences of Mexican Americans in the United States.
Criteria for the selection of a winner will include:
- The book will be written for children and young adults (0-18 years).
- The text and illustrations will be of highest quality.
- The portrayal/representations of Mexican Americans will be accurate and engaging, avoid stereotypes, and reflect rich characterization.
- The book may be fiction or non- fiction.
- Selections will be made from books nominated.
- Nominations are accepted from authors, illustrators, publishers, and the public at large.
- The deadline for nominations for this award will be November 1st of the year of publication.
- A regional committee will narrow the list of nominated books.
- A national committee will select the final winner.
- If no book nominated is considered to meet the listed criteria, no award will be presented.
- The award will be announced by February 15th of the following year.
- The award will be conferred at a celebration sometime during Fall of the following year.