Faculty Incentive Compensation
This brief policy overview does not take the place nor substitute in-depth information described in AA/PPS No. 03.01.12 (5.06) or policy updates that have not yet been noted.
University Policy: AA/PPS No. 03.01.12 (5.06)
Eligibility and Restrictions
- The principal investigator (PI) or co-investigator (Co-I) of an externally-funded sponsored program are eligible for incentive compensation. The base salary of the PI or Co-I must be paid from Education and General (E&G) funds.
- Incentive compensation for a PI or Co-I with assigned administrative duties is based on the faculty portion of the base salary directly related to instructional duties. Administrative and instructional duties are verified by workload reports. The maximum an assistant or associate dean or chair or director may buyout is 50 percent of their salary.
- A PI or Co-I may not buy out instructional workload and receive compensation for a teaching overload in the same semester
- A PI cannot qualify for both incentive options described below in the same semester.
- The COE Research Office will notify the PI/CO-I of the incentive options and direct the Investigator to the appropriate form.
- The PI/CO-I and Department Chair reviews AA/PPS No. 03.01.12 (5.06).
- The PI/CO-I completes a portion of the form and forwards to his/her Department Chair for approval.
- The Chair reviews and verifies form information. Upon approval, the Chair forwards the form to the Dean for approval.
- The Dean forwards the form to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) attention to Sharon Birdsong, COE Grant Accountant.
- ORSP then forwards to the Associate Provost for final approval.
- Associate Provost Office notifies Department Chair of approval or denial.
Option 1: Instructional Workload Buyout (Download Application Form)
Spring Semester Requests: February 1
Fall Semester Requests: September 1
Option 2: No Workload Adjustment (Download Application Form)
Spring Semester Requests: May 1
Fall Semester Requests: December 1